So lately, I have had an addiction to spicy foods! I just can’t get enough 🙂 One night I was craving buffalo chicken wings with ranch dressing but didn’t have any, but had ingredients for tacos. I had the thought of why not stray from the traditional taco and try something new. Check out my spin on the traditional taco, hope you enjoy it as much as we did!
Buffalo Chicken Tacos
Shred your red cabbage, grate 1 carrot, chop cilantro and chop 2 green onions
While your chicken is braising, make your cabbage coleslaw topping. Add red cabbage, carrot, cilantro, and green onion in a large mixing bowl. Then combine all ingredients together (your olive oil, salt, cracked black pepper, sugar, lime juice, and apple cider vinegar).
After chicken is finished braising *quick tip*( instead of braising the traditional way in the oven I cooked the chicken on the stove top to cut my cooking time in half ). Then heat up your favourite buffalo wing sauce and add the cooked shredded chicken. Once nice and hot, you can begin assembling your tacos. For assembly, heat up flour tortillas, add shredded cheese, chicken, a layer of coleslaw, green onion and topped off with with the homemade ranch dressing).
Not your traditional taco!
- 3 chicken breasts (can be bone-in or boneless, after cooked shred)
- favourite buffalo sauce, (I like presidents choice brand)
- flour or corn tortillas
- cheddar cheese
- 2 green onions, chopped
- cilantro (for garnish)
- 1/2 medium sized red cabbage, finely shredded
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 1 large carrot, grated
- cilantro, handful and chopped
- 2-3 tbsps olive oil
- 1 tbsp granulated white sugar (add half a tbsp for starter and then taste before adding the rest to make sure its sweet enough)
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- salt and pepper, tt
- fresh half lime, juice
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup mayo
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 tbsp dried parsley
- 1 tbsp dried dill
- 1 tbsp fresh chives, finely chopped
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 tsp crack black pepper
- 1/2 tsp white vinegar
- 1 tbsp Cajun spice
- and a splash of Louisiana hot sauce
- chicken stock powder, 2 packets
- ground pepper
- garlic powder
- Start off by braising your chicken so you can shred it at a later time. Add all ingredients to boiling water; chicken stock powder, cumin, garlic powder, ground pepper. While water is boiling add chicken. Cook chicken until core temperature reaches 165 F. I cooked mine on the stove top for faster results. However, braising is typically done in the oven.
- While chicken is cooking prepare your coleslaw. Finely shred half a red cabbage, 1 carrot, 2 green onions, lime juice, and cilantro, then toss with olive oil, salt and pepper, apple cider vinegar, and sugar. Set aside until ready to assemble your tacos.
- To make ranch sauce combine all ingredients, make sure to frequently taste sauce to make sure seasoning is just right. Refrigerate for half hour before use.
- Once chicken is finished cooking, shred and add to buffalo sauce, heat thoroughly. While chicken is soaking up all that sauce, heat flour tortillas.
- Now you are ready to assemble your tacos! take your heated tortillas, add shredded cheddar, chic
Chef's Note- Make sure to taste coleslaw while making it to insure it is neither to sweet or sour, adjust seasoning as needed. If you do not have all ingredients on hand for ranch dressing you can also improvise by using regular ranch dressing that you have in the fridge, add a few scoops of sour cream, Cajun spice and hot sauce. Mix together and your all set in a pinch.
I’m definitely making this one
The color in these tacos is AMAZING! I know my husband will absolutely love it if I made these for him. Two of his favorite things in one dish!
Is the chicken stock powder the same as chicken base powder? If so, how much should I add exactly; two tbsp?
I believe so, I used 2 packets so that would probably equal out to 2 tbsps. You can always bring your water to a boil add your first tbsp and then taste, to check if it is to salty or needs another scoop. I always just do it by eye and taste.